Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Ones, Tens, Hundreds, Comma

One of my favorite lessons to teach in fourth grade involves place value.  The reason I enjoy teaching it is because of a sweet song I found a couple of years ago.  Just like "Call Me Maybe", you can tell when a song will stick in the kids' heads.  Once you've done that, they will never forget (I still have 5th graders coming up to me to tell them how they used these songs in their new grade!).  In "The Place Value Rap" by Rockin' the Standards, the chorus explains place value, and the refrain lists the place values...in one of the most addicting melodies ever.  I've posted two videos below to explain:

 
The first section of the song (it repeats two more times)


An explanation by the composer himself

No comments:

Post a Comment